Pride or Prejudice [DEMO]
A downloadable game
Play this beloved tale of romance, snark, and self discovery, but with your choice of gender and appearance, and a few other fun choices along the way.
The current demo covers the plot up to Chapter 12 of the novel. Feedback is very welcome, especially about the character creator or any bugs.
My plan is to start by creating a largely linear adaptation of the original novel, where choices have only minor effects. But once I have a playable game, I'm intending to keep adding extra features until I run out of steam.
- Gender neutral character creator, with the choice of he, she, or they pronouns, and the ability to use a wheelchair .
- Family members match the colouring chosen in the character creator, with a little random variation.
- Three choices of text size.
- Image descriptions and screenreader support.
- A setting/plot which largely matches the original novel, but with the overt sexism and homophobia sanded off to create room for non-m/f relationships and non-binary characters.
- Minor branching, maybe some short bad ends etc.
- More intuitive user interface.
Possible extra features:
- More significant branching, with multiple love interests (probably Caroline Bingley, Charlotte Lucas, and Captain Fitzwilliam), and at least one happy ending with no romance or marriage.
- Extra Setting: A more obviously anachronistic lack of sexism/homophobia, changing the genders of some characters to be non binary and/or in non-m/f relationships etc.
- Extra setting: Roughly historically accurate levels of sexism/homophobia, with notable effects if you make different gender etc choices.
- The colour choose screen wiggles sometimes.
- The text size choice is weird in the preferences menu at the start of a new game.
- Some of the procedurally generated eye and hair colours look off.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
This is an interesting idea, and a cool fact! I've turned off custom honorifics for now because a beta player said they found them too confusing, but will think about the potential of 'friend'.
I am so excited for this - I loved your adaption of Northanger Abbey and this somehow looks even better.
I love all the technical features you have here. The randomization, the pronouns, the quick-pick sprite options, how the family’s skin tone matches, all of it.
I want to buy “The technical secrets behind Spiral Atlas’ Pride or Prejudice.” You need to finish this game so you can write it. (Or make someone else write it for you. I don’t care. I just want it.)
Ah, thank you, it feels nice to have all those little details appreciated! I do intend on writing things up as I go when I'm sure I have a technique locked down, if only for my own future reference. Currently my posts don't cover the things you've listed but I will hopefully get there eventually. I post any tutorials on https://spiral-atlas.dreamwidth.org/, and link to them on my twitter https://twitter.com/spiral_atlas
me encantó <3
so excited about this! played the demo and it left me wanting sooo much more, keep up the really good work!
This is looking amazing! The accessibility options, the Character Creator, The pronouns! *Chefs Kiss* Can't wait to see more of the development. Not to mention who doesn't love some good old Jane Austen. Also letting me live my dreams of romancing Captain Fitzwilliam.
loving the concept